Sunday, February 8, 2009

Counterfeit?


So yesterday I went to the bank to deposit a check and some cash monies I had acquired. I pulled up, filled out the deposit slip, put everything in the sucky up machine, and waited for a friendly teller greeting (hoping for a sucker of course). As I waited, I look inside to see all the bankers examining my bills. I thought to myself, "Self, wouldn't that be funny if those were counterfeit?". Just then I hear the teller's voice telling me that my bills were in fact just that. I was so shocked, I couldn't believe it. He asked me where I received the money. I told him from my friend Doug, who we did some work for (trying to make it sound like it wasn't some crazy undercover job). He proceeded to explain to me why they were counterfeit and how he wasn't going to give it back to me. I was kind of freaked out, but luckily they didn't take me down to the Big House. I just told them I was real sorry and tried not to peel out of the drive-up.
I called my friend Doug afterwards and asked him where he got the money. He had found it in the apartment we had been helping him fix up and told his cousin not to worry about paying us. I told him that if he was counterfeiting money he should let us in on it. I mean, come on, what are friends for? Luckily he hadn't tried to spend/deposit his yet. I think this was the closest I've come to breaking the law. Kind of exciting.

16 comments:

Deb said...

WHAT?! I always knew Doug had a dark side. I am so confused though...how/why did Doug find money in an apartment and not give it back to the tenant?

Deb said...

Ooh, are they going to track down the tenant and bust some counterfeiters? That would be so exciting! I remember my dad busting some druggies in his apartments when I was little, it was awesome.

Kyle and Jamie said...

That is hilarious!! That would only happen to you!! Are you going to get paid for reals?!

Kourtney said...

You go crazy outlaw meg! I kind of got a heart attack I thought maybe it was my moms money from the flowers whoaa! I am glad that you didn't have to stay in the slammer next time just use the money in the store when you print the fakes. Love ya

Katie said...

That is so crazy! I wonder how you can tell the difference?

Spencer said...

Sheesh, I'm glad we didn't pay you guys in cash! I would think with doug's artistry skills he could probably do it but it would take him like a year to make one bill so it would have to be really big, hehehe.

Ricky and Chelsey said...

Oh man, I can just imagine your innocence confusing those tellers! How funny! We miss you guys, we are probably coming down again this week. Ricky has a second interview, so hopefully we can come see you or move into your house, either one!

Flattail Family said...

What type of influence do your SLC friends have on you??? I think you should move back to Logan where people don't break the law. Other than the air quality, Logan is almost perfect! ;) You have some of the most amusing stories.

C.B. said...

Whatever Meg, I know you have a printing press in your basement that you make fake bills with. :)

Erin said...

Wow! How crazy! You are the last person I would expect to see in the slammer. Hopefully you're not out all that money now. Oh and I love the post picture. Funny.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting!! So did you get real money instead???

Jillyan said...

You have the craziest experiences! Never a dull moment with Meg the outlaw!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I mean scary, but funny, that you were thinking that before they told you it was fake! Glad that you are not in jail!

ilikewinter said...

In a way, it's my fault. I found the envelopes when I was cleaning the apt. out. Sorry about that. I was reallllly exited about that money being there- wow. Too bad it wasn't real. You know what they say about things being too good to be true...

ilikewinter said...

And yes, my husband did pay her the real money everyone! Tom would beat him up if he didn't. In a nice way. =)

Megan D. said...

Ha, ha. We got the money and Doug has promised us a cut in the future. :) Its okay to be excited by money Gina. :) Really funny story.