Monday, May 25, 2009

Swaner Nature EcoCenter

For Tom's birthday (which isn't until the 28th), my Dad and Shawn gave us tickets to one of the Bird Festival field trips. It was so much fun! We saw a lot of birds...two life-listers for both of us: a Sora and a Savannah Sparrow. We were the youngest people there and we met a lot of lovely people. Bob was my favorite, his license plate said 'Bird Nerd' and he wore a wicked sweet jumpsuit. He knew a lot about birds and had all sorts of bird calls programmed into his ipod. He had a little speaker that would project the sound and call the birds, which is how we got to see the Sora. Birders are very interesting people, it was fun hanging about with them.
Part of the field trip took us to the Swaner Nature EcoCenter. I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful place and they've done a lot of neat things there AND its free. They are on their way to becoming the first Platinum LEED certified building in Utah. I think they are going to be the first one anyway...they seemed pretty confident about it. Pretty cool.
Here are some pictures.

6 comments:

Flattail Family said...

What a perfect birthday present! Congrats on adding new birds to your life list. And thanks for letting us know about that Nature Center--we'll have to check it out sometime this summer.

KATIE said...

I used to have a list and I wish I'd kept it up with my travels and stuff. I used to think birding was so lame till I did it for awhile and I loved it. I had no idea you were into it. That's so Coolio... Fo shizzle...my nizzle...

The Barnum Family said...

Hi Megan! I'm so glad I found your blog too. It's so fun to see what you've been up to! We're living in Magna right now. We've been here for two years, and we'll probably be here for at least one more.

Erin said...

Glad you guys had a good time and happy birthday today Tom!

Kourtney said...

Happy Birthday Tom. That is a perfect present. So I heard you are expecting (HEHHEHEHE) J and You are so funny I am blessed to have you as friends

Anonymous said...

What a cool gift! It looks very fun and I love the pics! See you this weekend!